Monday, July 25, 2016

Etiquette when speaking to a pregnant women!

(This is a PSA for anyone who interacts with a pregnant women and opens their mouth to speak!!)


     It seems like everyone forgets basic manners when they speak to a pregnant women. Or they just don't realize that what they are saying comes off incredibly rude! To be completely honest, I was guilty of saying some of the things that I now, as a preggo, know to be inappropriate. So I wanted to give a PSA to inform the masses.

Here is me at 14 weeks:

I was attending a friends wedding and wore a dress that was tight over my belly. I think it was the first time a number of people had seen me where I was actually starting to show. Thus, I received endless comments all night about my size. Examples:
- Wow- you look so big!
- You're only 3 months?! You look like you're 5 months!
- Are you sure there are not twins in there?!
- You've already popped, and that usually doesn't happen until 5-6 months!
- You're getting big!!

Now I understand that "big" is a relative term to describe a pregnant belly, but it is not a flattering term by any means. Being told I was "big" all night does nothing for my self-esteem and made me feel incredibly self-conscience. Instead of being proud that I was carrying a little life inside my body, I was focused on trying to suck my stomach in to minimize it's size. Needless to say, I went home in a very down and out state.

And all throughout my pregnancy, as I continue to grow more and more, the comments keep coming!
- How far along are you? (About 5 months! I'm so excited to be a mom!) Still 4 months to go? You are going to be HUGE!!!!!
- (this was from a stranger in a fast food restaurant) Make way for the pregnant lady! You almost ready to have that baby? (No ma'am. I still have about 3 months to go.) Really?! I thought you were 9 months and about to pop! That is going to be a BIG baby!! (Thanks a lot.... 😕)

So here are some of the appropriate things to say to a pregnant woman: 
-You look beautiful!
-You are absolutely glowing!
-You are growing a sweet baby in there!
-You are the cutest pregnant lady!
-Your baby bump is so adorable!
-Pregnancy looks good on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment